Pagina's

donderdag 14 september 2017

National Championchip XC Marathon



At the end of last season Peter and I decided to put the Grand Raid Godefroy back on our program for this season. It had been 5 years since our last participation, back then it was organized by a different organisation and the last version was very poor. So the last few years the Eifel Marathon in Daun was on our calendar in stead of this mystical race. The new organisation was much better and so we decided to return to the race where the marathon story started 9 years ago.

After I finished 70K GRG in 2008
The Belgian Championship was not on our program this season because it was planned mid July somewhere at the start of one of our stage races. Like previous years we wouldn't stay home for a day event if there where so many stage race events during summer.
Due to organizational programs the National Championship Marathon in July was cancelled and the only event that was candidate to take over was the GRG at Bouillon. So coincidence or not, my first real National Championship ever would take place at the scenery I had my first marathon experience.

The castle of Godefroy
 As soon as the news spread about the Championship Peter decided not to ride as the distance for the men turned out to be 160K šŸ˜². For the women they chose 70KšŸ˜ž which in my opinion is a little short compared to the men's race, I would prefer the 90K, but hey I'm not going to cry about it šŸ˜‰

N° 3

my motivation
Saturday it was poring rain, luckily for Sunday the predictions would be better. We arrived in the late afternoon, on time to check in. Get my race number, licence check and briefing and get in bed early.

Sunday morning

6:19 AM Carboloading




















6:30 AM back in bed for 30 min chilling

7: 15 AM Getting dressed




















7:30 AM warming up on the rollers
















8:15 AM lining up for the start
















Peter prepped everything for me: Thea, drinking bottles, putting my rollers in place, cleaning my rollers up again, taking some photo's, keeping me calm and coming to the line up to take my jacket.

I was nerves, although you wouldn't tell on my face, I couldn't hide it for Peter. Winning would be nearly impossible, a podium place was definitely a big possibility on paper. I was confident since the last races had been great. But the race still had to be raced and in mountain bike there are a few things that can go horribly wrong.

8:30 AM The start was given.



Peter arranged a 5 min head start for our own safety. Because beside the woman racing for the title there were about 500 men behind us to ride the same distance. The first kilometers were a bit narrow and to make sure we could have a fair race they gave us ahead start. After two K's behind a police motorcyclist we entered the muddy trails of Bouillon. I was in second position right behind the ruling Champion, Alice. My heart rate was going high but the legs felt great. After 4K's we had a little gap with the other girls a specially after muddy fast downhills they couldn't keep up. The first men passed us after 8K and at this time Alice turned up the pace. From this point on I had to keep my own strong pace. I raced by myself while now and then men were passing me. 20K's in the race Sara Van Peer joined me. This made me nervous because I realized she would be a tough client, I made some silly mistakes and this made me chase her twice. After a while she had a little gab that I couldn't close anymore. I had to keep fighting and concentrating because the trails were more technical than the last version of this race. The last 15K another girl passed me, I didn't recognize her and feared I would finished in 4th place.

In the last downhill we had to get off the bike to get over an obstacle and I pulled up my handlebar and hit my teeth. I thought I lost it but couldn't stop! I was still in the race...
I finished in 4th place on the 70K, but the girl that finished 3rd was French so spot 3 of the Championship was mine.

Reaching the finish

After the finish realizing I got my podium spot

Recovery food after a freezing cold shower
Podium
Sara - Alice - Sara

You win some

You lose some

In the meanwhile my tooth is fixed šŸ˜Ž
One more race to go Roc d' Azur here we come...
By the way the ladies did an awesome race because we finished in the first 50 scratch from the more than 300 finishers šŸ’Ŗ

Thanks to all our partners for supporting us all the way. And special thanks to Peter šŸ’— for getting me to this point with a lot of nice words, some less nice words, kicking my ass when I needed it, prepping my bike, motivate me and some very hard training sessions, it worked. Nine years ago I was just happy finishing this race, now I reached the podium of the National Championship... Hungry for more

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten